Also known as: Brazilian Teak, Tonka Bean
Scientific: Dipteryx odorata
Janka Hardness: 3,330
Elastic Modulus: 22.33 GPa
This dense South American hardwood has an interlocked grain pattern. This makes it an excellent wood for high traffic flooring and decking, and for exterior application such as wood cladding where weather resistance is required.
Character of Cumaru:
The interlocking grain of Cumaru creates a very interesting patterning, when this interlocking occurs, it can be very difficult to work. When the grain is not interlocked, Cumaru mills clean and crisp, making it excellent for modern wood cladding.
Color of Cumaru:
Cumaru heartwood has light to medium brown color, with purplish and reddish hues. It can be found to have yellowish and green streaks from time to time.
Common uses for Cumaru:
- Construction planks for heavy machinery
- Railroad Ties
- Wood Turning wood
Fun Facts about Cumaru:
- When placed under a blacklight, Cumaru will turn fluorescent. This attribute is used to help distinguish it from Ipe.
- Cumaru contains silica, which makes it mill nicely and rot resistant, but very rough on tools.
- The Cumaru tree produces the Tonka Bean, which has a vanilla/cinnamon tastes. The Tonka Bean has been illegal in the United States since 1954 on account of it containing Coumarin, a chemical known to cause cancer.
- Although illegal, it has become a favorite flavor for chefs from around the world. French pastry chefs are known to use the bean spice in abundance.
We typically offer Cumaru in the following sizes and grades:
|Scientific||Sub-species||Grade||Features||4/4||5/4||6/4||8/4||12/4||Plywood||Circle Sawn||Live Edge||Beam|
|Dipteryx odorata||Cumaru||Clear||Light Brown with Yellow tones|
Scientific information about Cumaru:
|Common Names||Cumaru, Brazilian Teak, Tonka Bean,|
|Scientific Name||Dipteryx odorata|
|Distribution||Northern South America|
|Tree Size||150'-160' Tall, 3'-4' in Diameter|
|Average Dried Weight||5.66 lbs per board foot|
|Janka Hardness||3,300 lbf|
Check out some species other than Cumaru
Contact us Have questions about our products?
Give us a call or shoot us an email, we can help you find the right kind of wood to make your project look fantastic! From kiln dried lumber to flooring, molding to butcher butcher block counter tops, we've got you covered.
WOOD IS UNIVERSALLY BEAUTIFUL TO MAN. IT IS THE MOST HUMANLY INTIMATE OF ALL MATERIALSFRANK LLOYD WRIGHT, AMERICAN ARCHITECT